CALIENTE UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT
12400 Caliente Creek Road
Caliente, CA 93518
Kathleen S. Hansen
Board of Trustees:
Kathy Cardon, President
Jason Rankin, Clerk
Gerald Carroll, Member
David Powell, Representative
Chris Casteel, Member
June 1, 2015
“All real education is the architecture of the soul.”
“You are educated. Your certification is in your degree. You may think of it as the ticket to the good life. Let me ask you to think of an alternative. Think of it as your ticket to change the world”
Our goals as educators are to: instill a love for knowledge, willingness to learn and grow, and an ability to be a productive citizen making discoveries to “change the world”. June is my “Bitter Sweet” month. The district’s 8th grade graduates leave us as they move into the high school arena. I am happy for them but I will miss their hugs, laughter and smiling faces! It is hard to let them go, even though, each student is ready for this new phase in his/her life! Congratulations 8th Graders! Come back and give us hugs and let us know how you are doing!
- Music Lessons – Thank you Mr. Gerry for teaching our students music this year! Thank you Dan Whitmore for helping Mr. Gerry teach our students how to play the drums!
- Art Lessons –. Thank you Lissa Schairer! Our students really enjoyed all of the different art projects this year!
- KEDS Program: Our KEDS program will take place during the school year 2015-2016! I am pleased to announce that Mrs. Beam will continue to be our Pre-K students’ teacher! Please come in and register her/him and join our Pre-K program if your student will be attending Kindergarten 2016-2017 year.
- Kindergarten Round-up went well this year at Piute Mountain School. ‘
- The 8th graders had a fantastic time at Magic Mountain! They rode all of the rides their stomachs could tolerate! It was a full day with a lot of laughter! Thank you Jim and Susan Becherer for your Magic Mountain donation!
- Thank you Chantelle Lopez for counting and handling our “Box Tops for Education”! Thank you everyone for sending the “Box Tops” to Piute Mountain! We received $85.00.
- Thank you Bill Hesse for replacing some of our screens on our windows! Now our windows may be open without flying guests coming in!
- Thank you Don and Marty for the donation of $40 toward our Year Books! You are awesome!
- Graduations for Kindergarten and 8th grade are June 2 – Kindergarten – 10 am and 8th at 7 pm.
- Our district Website is going through a face lift! Please bear with us as we transition through the update!
- Thank you Mrs. Zanutto for helping Mrs. Hesse with the Year Book this year and for helping Mr. Engstrom coach the students for the Softball Tournament! The team took 4th place! Go Piute!
- Thank you Mr. Varga for fixing our sinks!
- Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Sharman for helping us throughout the year!
- Thank you Emily Powell for all your extra help in our Kinder – 1st grade classroom!
- Breakfast/Lunch Outreach programs during the summer break: Flyers were sent home with students announcing that Beale Library will offer Free lunches for children 2-18 years of age, June 1 – July 24, 2015 – Monday –Friday, 11:30-12:30 p.m. Arvin District – 6/04 – 7/28 serving lunch. Digiorgio, Lamont – 6/23-7/25 – serving lunch. Kern High School District, Lamont – serving breakfast – 6/02 – 7/11. Alicante Ave Elementary, Lamont serving breakfast and lunch – 6/03-6/27. Lamont Elementary serving breakfast and lunch – 6/03-6/27. South Fork Middle School – serving lunch and afternoon snack – 6/02-7/31. Jacobsen Middle School, Tehachapi – serving breakfast and lunch – 6/09 -8/06.
***If you are someone that has a gifted talent or just a love to teach students sewing, cooking, foreign language, gardening, reading to students, please contact my office for a meeting with me. I would love to hear from you!
Please come out and join the Caliente Educational Foundation! They need your help. They provide so much for our students, please won’t you join them or lend them a helping hand! Thank you for helping at ‘Family Fun Day’ this year! Thank you for the auction items, all of the volunteers, participation in the Horseshoe Toss Tournament, and baked goods! I love our community! Caliente Educational Foundation, thank you for your dedication this year to our students! You are such a vital and intricate part of our students’ and staff’s lives! You have provided many incredible educational tools and resources over the years for our students to become successful! Thank you for your unconditional love and multiple hours of donated time!
Whoopi Goldberg said, “If every American donated five hours a week, it would equal the labor of 20 million full time volunteers.”
Thank you for continuing to send in your Amerigas receipts and Box Tops for Education. Thank you, Chantelle Lopez for taking on the responsibility of the ‘Box Tops’ for our district! We are collecting flip tops for Ronald McDonald’s House. Thank you, Diane Sharman for helping us with delivery of our collected flip lids. Office Depot will donate 5% Back to Schools Program –give Piute Mountain’s name and this number 7000637. Thank you, Cheryl Green for bringing Office Depot information to our attention.
“A gift consists not in what is done or given, but in the intention of the giver or doer.”
Art Lessons – Every Monday
Music Lessons – Every Wednesday
June 2 – Kindergarten graduation 10 am and 8th grade graduation 7 pm.
June 3 – Year Book signing and 8th grade Affirmation Day!
June 4 – Water Volleyball 8th /Staff
June 4 – Class Parties – Check with your students’ teachers for the particular!
June 5th Last day for 2014-2015 school year!
June 5 – Awards Assembly – Kinder-4 – 9 a.m., 5th-8th – 10:15 a.m.
June 5 – Noon Dismissal!
June 9 – Public Hearing – 6:30 pm – Piute Mountain School – McHall
June 16 – Board Meeting – 6:30 pm– Piute Mountain School – McHall
Thank you for your continued support!
Kathleen S. Hansen
Public Hearing Notice
A Public Hearing will be held by the Caliente Union School District Board of Trustees on June 9, 2015 at 6:30 p.m. at Piute Mountain School located at: 12400 Caliente Creek Rd., Caliente, California, for the purpose of taking testimony from the public, regarding CUSD 15-16 Budget and LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan) which is available for review as of June 5, 2015 at the Caliente Union School District office.
All interested persons are invited to attend and will be given the opportunity to be heard. The public hearing will take place as a part of a regular Board meeting. After receiving any testimony at the public hearing, the Board will consider taking final action on the proposed Budget 15-16 and LCAP on June 16, 2015.
Board of Trustees
Caliente Union School District
Kathleen S. Hansen
Superintendent and Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Date: May 19, 2015